Top 10 Immunity Boosters for Kids
Your kid's immunity is tested whenever there are seasonal changes as they tend to fall sick during this period. Kids are especially vulnerable as they have a lower immunity compared to adults. You will see more episodes of runny nose, coughs, and even fever. While many medications treat them, these have side effects too. So you want to prevent these illnesses rather than treat them. How do you do that? By giving your little one immunity-boosting food. These are rich in essential nutrients for the immune system and help them fight infections. This immunity booster for kids should be part of the balanced diet and your kid's meal.
Top 10 Immunity-Boosting Foods for Kids
1. Berries: Berries like blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries are tasty and colourful. Additionally, these are highly nutritious. These fight the free radicals in the body because of the antioxidants present in them, which strengthen immunity. These berries can be taken as it is, but if the kids are fussy, they can be added to desserts like yoghurt and pudding. It should be included as part of a balanced diet. If introducing these for the first time, watch out for signs of allergies.
2. Eggs: These are one of the few foods that contain Vitamin D in them. It should be included as part of your child's diet as it is complete food. It is filled with-
- Omega-3 fatty acids
Among these is the presence of selenium, Vitamin A, D, and B12 help improve immunity.
3. Salmon: Add this to your balanced diet to include lean protein in the meals. It is a nutritional powerhouse and contains-
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- B Vitamins
Besides reducing inflammation and boosting immunity, it also helps boost brain health.
4. Yoghurt: It is one of the best immunity boosters that are rich in probiotics. It contains:
- Vitamin D
- Calcium and other nutrients
Avoid adding sugar as it has no health benefits. However, if your kid likes it sweet, add a dash of honey or fruits. Use plain yoghurt instead of flavoured yoghurt and add them to salads, smoothies, etc.
5. Almonds: It is among the healthiest nuts and is a rich source of:
- Vitamin E
- Healthy fats
As it is loaded with essential nutrients, it not only boosts immunity but also aids in growth and development.
6. Sweet potatoes: It is a starchy and sweet vegetable that is rich in:
- Beta carotene
- Vitamin C
It can be made into a delicious soup or added to muffins.
7. Spinach: It is a green leafy vegetable superfood that can boost immunity and give strength. It is rich in:
- Vitamin A, E, C, and K.
Make a juice or a smoothie out of it, or for a fun munch, make spinach nuggets.
8. Broccoli: It is another superfood that has amazing health benefits. It contains
- Vitamins E, C and A
- Several antioxidants
It boosts immunity and is good for your child's eye health too. It offers many benefits when raw and can be added to a salad with your kid's favourite dip.
9. Oats: It is a gluten-free whole grain and one of the healthiest grains. They should be added to your kid's diet to get the needed antioxidants, fibre, minerals, and vitamins. It can be served as oatmeal or porridge.
10. Seeds: These are a great source of monounsaturated fats and fibre. It is also rich in vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals. It boosts immunity and gives a great crunch to your snacks. Seeds to include in your kid's diet are:
- Flax seeds
It can be added to toasts, smoothies, salads, and other dishes.
Understanding the importance of a balanced diet and including them in your child's meals can enhance immunity and keep them healthier.